The Biomechanics lab performs research on the mechanics of cells, tissues and biomaterials. Research projects have applications to brain injury, cell motility, development, and imaging.
- P. V. Bayly, B. L. Lewis, P. L. Kemp, R. B. Pless, S. K. Dutcher. Efficient spatiotemporal analysis of the flagellar waveform of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Cytoskeleton. In press, 2009.
- A. A. Sabet, E. Christoforou, B. Zatlin, G.M. Genin, P.V. Bayly. Deformation of the human brain induced by mild angular acceleration. Journal of Biomechanics. 41(2):307-15, 2008.
- Atay SM, Kroenke C, Sabet A, Bayly PV, Measurement of the dynamic shear modulus of mouse brain tissue in vivo by magnetic resonance elastography. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 130(2):021013, 2008.
- Elson, E.L., Fried, E., Dolbow, J.E., and Genin, G.M. “Phase separation in biological membranes: integration of theory and experiment.” Invited review. To appear in Annual Review of Biophysics, 2010.
- Marquez, JP, Elson, EL, Genin, GM. “Whole cell mechanics of contractile fibroblasts: relations between cellular and extracellular matrix moduli.” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A. 368(1912): 635-54, 2010.
- Genin GM, Alistair K, Birman V, Wopenka B, Pasteris JD, Marquez JP, Thomopoulos S. "Functional grading of mineral and collagen in the attachment of tendon to bone.” Biophysical Journal, 97(4):976-85, 2009.
Funding: NIH, NSF, Children's Discovery Institute
Biomechanics Lab Web site
Musculoskeletal Soft Tissue Laboratory
Modeling and simulation of flow physics, flow control, air vehicles and fluid energy systems.
- E. Okpara and R. K. Agarwal, "Numerical Study of Steady and Pulsatile Flow through Models of Vascular and Aortic Valve Stenoses," CFD Journal, Vol. 17, 2009, pp. 205-220.
- F. G. Tcheremissine and R. K. Agarwal, "Computation of Hypersonic Shock Waves in Diatomic Gases Using the Generalized Boltzmann Equation," in Rarefied Gas Dynamics, American Institute of Physics, Vol. 1084, pp. 427-434, 2009, Editor; T. Abe, Mellville, New York.
Research on polymers; high performance metals; nanocomposites; hybrid organic/inorganic materials.
- Gian Colombo, and Shankar M.L. Sastry, "Strength and Fatigue Improvements of Metastable Beta Titanium Alloys by Boron Additions and Equal Channel Angular Extrusion," Proceedings of the Materials & Processes for Medical Devices Conference ,Aug. 10-12,2009 (ASM,2009) (in press)
- S. Singamaneni, M. E. McConney, and V. V. Tsukruk, "Spontaneous Regular Folding in Ultrathin Polymer Gels" Adv. Mater., (In press)
- S. Singamaneni, E. Kharlampieva, M. E. McConney, H. Jiang, J. -H. Jang, E. L. Thomas, T. J. Bunning, and V. V. Tsukruk, "Metallized Porous Microframes via Biofunctionalization" Adv. Mater. (In press)
Design theory; numerical methods for optimization.
- Zheng, J., 2009, Jakiela, M. J., "An Investigation of the Productivity Difference in Mechanical Embodiment Design Between Face-to-Face and Threaded Online Collaboration," conference presentation at the ASME 2009 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE 2009), August 30 – September 2, 2009, San Diego, California, USA, Paper DETC2009-87070.
Computational Mechanics & Rotorcraft Dynamics: Professor Peters
Finite state models of rotorcraft inflow and wake; aeroelasticity; numerical methods for mechanics.
- Peters, David A., "How Dynamic Inflow Survives in the Competitive World of Rotorcraft Aerodynamics," the 2008 Alexander Nikolsky Lecture, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 53, No. 1, January 2009, pp. 1-15.
- Bain, Jeremy, Sankar, Lakshmi, Prasad, J.V.R., Peters, David, and He, Chengjian, "Computational Modeling of Variable Droop Leading Edge in Forward Flight," Journal of Aircraft, Vo. 46, No. 2, March-April 2009, pp. 617-626.
Funding: NASA, Georgia Tech/WUSTL Center of Excellence for Rotorcraft Technology